Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Joy of Being Alive

The 4th of July was a beautiful, hot, summer day. I spent it on the river with my family swimming, boating and kite boarding.

We like to take all of our stuff out to the little island that is only an island when the water is high by Old Kettle Falls. At one point we heard a cry for help. My husband, Roland, had noticed some teenagers heading from shore to the little island. He knows the island is further away than it looks and you can no longer walk to the island.

We quickly took our little boat toward the teenager's cry for help and found one boy exhausted. Fortunately for him his friend was able to hold him up for while. It took some time to get the boys into the boat because the one was just so utterly exhausted. After taking the boys back to shore the four of us sat in the boat just relishing the moment of all being alive. The sun was shining, the water was sparkling, and everyone was breathing - in - out - in - out. What a tremendous feeling. After a few minutes the exhausted boy was finally able to raise his head to look at Roland.

"You saved my life."
"Yes, you have the blessing of another day," Roland said.
"Thank you."

It was a moment I won't soon forget and this grateful feeling I have will, no doubt, be transferred to my art. But how does one express gratitude in painting, drawing or a piece of batik? I'm not sure what gratitude and joy will look like but I know it will be there in every piece.

No comments: